September 21, 2012

The Journey of Life



It’s been exactly one year. It was the night of 31st of May 2011 that I was in a train to Pathankot from where I would board a bus to Dharamsala. I had written my last exam of a degree that I neither had any interest in nor had any skill for, and thus could not garner the same numerical value of the accrued credits as most of my classmates did. Four years of college life had culminated in a glaring nothing. I certainly did not make many friends while I was in college. However, what really disheartened me was fact that my life was heading nowhere…in all possible interpretations of the statement. My academic life ever since high school had been a series of disasters, one bigger than another. And this continued at college too. Hence I was at a stage in life where I had no real educational qualification and very limited employability. The only jobs that I could think of were those in BPO or of a Medical Representative. Career was not the only dark aspect of my life. All that could possibly go wrong was wrong. There was nothing that I could think of and with each day I felt as if I was being sucked in by a black hole of disappointment and a sense of failure.

Out of an unexplainable state of mind, I packed my bag with whatever I found handy, collected whatever money I had and went to the railway station to head to Dharamshala, where a classmate was posted for his first job. I guess I just desperately wanted to get away from all the worries and seek some solace in being at least physically away from all that would tell me that I was in a spot that was far from desirable. I bought an 80-rupee general bogie ticket and boarded a second class compartment in a desperate hope that that I may get away with it, no luck here either.


There I was in the train, the midnight of 31st May 2011…exactly one year back as I write this. I lay by the window through which the cool breeze could fall onto my face. The rhythmic noise of the train was lost in the quietness of the night. Vision could see as far as it could across the sprawling fields. But this serenity, this tranquility, this reinvigorating atmosphere, this calmness repeatedly caused me to ponder on all that was wrong in my life. No base to build a career on, no clear direction to walk in, no educational degree, neither capital nor idea to start something by myself, hardly any real options.  An equally disappointing and saddening tale of personal relationships. One lost to the realities of life and one to reasons I was clueless of. I would time and again wonder and try to find some answer to the question- how did things go this way between me and her when there was hardly anything wrong? When did it took this turn? Another blow came from him whom I valued most. Most trusted and loved friend of over a decade had turned hostile for “love”…classic bollywood plot where an a lascivious seductress robs a person of his senses to turn him against his own. And she turned out to be really good. Apart fom all this, we had lost a property-related case. And other family members were grappling with more pressing concerns.

I had absolutely no idea of where this train of life was taking me. I wasn't shattered or broken, nor had I given up on myself, but it was this race of thoughts and flash of images that I simply could not drive off my mind. I thought thoughtlessly of what all had gone wrong and where all I was at fault. I pondered haphazardly from personal life to career to family to lost friends…I just lay and thought for hours, to the point where my mind got numb. I reached a saturation point where I could not think any longer…and then I kept thinking. I would always remember that night.

It’s been exactly one year..…I am about to set my foot in the same train, on the night of the same date,  to the same destination…only difference is that this time my mind is a lot more aligned. No year in my life has been more generous and prosperous as has been the one from that night to this. I am not very successful, nor have I found my “ultimate soul-mate” , as they say, nor have I made peace with my old friend who turned hostile. And I haven’t made any academic advancement either (not in reality ;)).  It’s just that I have realised that no matter how intricately interwinded, the threads of life do get untangled with time and though initially the darkness may preclude you from discerning the path ahead, but if you allow your eyes, your innerself to get acclimatized to the darkness, you’ll see that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Just because you presently do not have answers to your questions doesn't mean that there aren't any. It may take time but sooner or later one of the two things will happen- either you will find the answers or the questions would become irrelevant. Most of the factors that worry us are outright baseless and the remaining ones would either be solved with time, or be conquered through persistent efforts or be of such nature that you will learn to live with them. So ultimately, everything passes. So whatever the present pain be, whatever the dark phase be…remember it is all a part of a great plan. It is all, as the Vaishnavas believe, the part of a story HE has written for you. And remember- HE writes only best sellers!!!

27 comments:

  1. i could read my own story in your words..just need to find some answers..these thoughts are really troubling..just wish to reach a state where 'the mind is without fear'

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing sir.....ur blog shows a totally diff personality of yours..... i really enjoyed it....I hope we all find the answers to the questions........

    ReplyDelete
  3. reading through the article is like reading a treatise......anyone who has walked through dark alleys in life can relate to the article....and the best part is the end....HE only writes bestsellers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. sir,
    your article was not only great but i could relate to it so well and i believe rest of the readers will agree with me in a discerning tone..

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice sir...though i can relate ur past to my present (not in every context ) but still it gives me hope that future will be far better and i do remember the story ( krishan g and balram g ) .

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only issue I have it is that you have rushed to an end. We all wanted the elaborations, we do. Apki writing has a matter-of-fact style which makes it a lot more believable. Though every author has a creative freedom to dramatize (which I use to utmost) sometimes telling simply a simple story is a better alternative. Again, as u know I'm a sucker for darkness (God! what was I in my last birth?) I would have loved it had you given ample deliberated thoughts to the ebbs and their types as well.

    You can build a story from here sir. Give it a lot more time and a lot more space. And dramatize :D .. dramatize indeed.. let's have some flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it seems as if somebody .. just wrote my story on different parameters...the only difference is ...my tunnel is a lil longer...but yes d key to the blog lies in d end itself ... thanks for such a lovely blog it just touched ...:-) cheers ...!

    ReplyDelete
  8. awwwwww!
    this is smoething straight from the heart!
    neva knew this side of yours!
    i always look up to u as a person full of life,happy-go-lucky and never-say-die spirit! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. knowing u since the “time” u have mentioned in this article i really feel , all this does not happen to every1 . May be u never realised it but having guts and courage to have a positive outlook, and to find a path for urself, is something which has made such changes in one year...NO MIRACLES. (most of us quit the battle)
    Apart from this ...really appreciate ur writing style,, this is what most of us go through but very few are able to put all this into words or express things that have been said here... nicely written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. U mentioned every thing in this article ranging from the journey that u undertook last year and the turbulent phase that u were going through that time to the positive changes that came in your life this year. What you forgot to mention is " CREDITS " for the photograph that is uploaded here :P :P
    On a serious note, I was not there with you during your last journey but this was really a memorable one. I appreciate you outlook towards " A Journey Called Life".Some of your view points have been a source of inspiration for me.

    PS: Waiting for the Next trip to happen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Akshay and Navpreet ji- sooner or later we all either find the answers or realise that the questions weren't meant to be answered...that's exactly what I have tried to convey here.
    Navpreet ji- ab aap toh meri personality jaante hi ho....
    Pratyush-yeah, many have confessed that they could relate this to some phase of their lives.
    Sushant- Thank you, mate
    Surinder- worry not lion...both your hope and efforts are well placed.
    Hitesh (sec)-dude, I intend to write on what all I experienced at the place I went to and what all happened when I returned but the tones of these narratives will sharply vary from this one's and hence I saw it rather capricious to put all of it together. Ebbs and their types...dude, didn't want to share intricate details...all that were to build a background against which I could make the broader point.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous- I know that you know me....would request you to own your appreciation.
    Ashish-igjactly
    Akanksha-absolutely dil se....abhi toh aapne aur bahut sari sides nai dekhi....I would like to believe that I am all that you believe I am.
    Minal mausi- Well, what can I say- your praise exceeds my worth.
    Prateek- haan sirji haan...photo toh aapne hi li thi :D
    And true, the journey was memorable enough for both of us to cherish it all our lives. Remain inspired. Note: Next trip to be soon.


    ReplyDelete
  13. oye! itna achcha likha hai. par itni jaldi kyun end kar diya!:( wish there was more. i found it very calming and inspiring. kudos to my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. zyada lamba karo toh boring hone lagta hai yaar...baaki agle wale mein likhenge :-)

      Delete
  14. "No base to build a career on, no clear direction to walk in, no educational degree, neither capital nor idea to start something by myself, hardly any real options. An equally disappointing and saddening tale of personal relationships. One lost to the realities of life and one to reasons I was clueless of."

    Epic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have always been a great inspiration bhai...the best part was that you actually got rid of all your problems when u started to think what went wrong ...what we all do wen we face such predicaments we remain fettered in the thoughts of what we have lost or what we are about to loose or at most how to hide ourselves from such imbroglio ...but my friend you faced it and u nailed it and trust me you nailed it really hard..now or then(2011or2012) you always have a proud friend......

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for such motivating and enlightening words.
    One of the most beautiful piece of writing I have ever read :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Note taken. Write everything wrong on a particular date and revisit it an year later and compare the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Note taken. Write everything wrong on a particular date and revisit it an year later and compare the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "No base to build a career on, no clear direction to walk in, no educational degree, neither capital nor idea to start something by myself, hardly any real options. An equally disappointing and saddening tale of personal relationships. One lost to the realities of life and one to reasons I was clueless of."
    โกเด้นสล็อต
    สูตรบาคาร่า
    Gclub จีคลับ



    ReplyDelete
  20. That was quite helpful as I always find myself clueless about life and my goals. Thank you sir

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dubai is known for its luxurious and extravagant hotels, and there are many great offers to take advantage of. From stunning beachfront resorts to impressive city skyscrapers, Dubai has it all. You can find discounts on rooms, free meals, spa treatments, and even discounted rates for multiple night stays. Some hotels also offer packages that include tickets to popular tourist attractions, such as the Burj Khalifa or the Dubai Mall. Be sure to check out the hotel's website or booking platforms to find the best deals and promotions available. Additionally, many hotels offer loyalty programs that can provide further discounts and benefits. You can Read more about the latest offers and deals.

    ReplyDelete